I was starting to wonder if there are any good things about these trees. To my surprise, there are a few!
- The tree overall is very beautiful. It produces glossy green leaves in the spring and summer and turns vivid red, yellow and even purple in the fall!
- You can eat the dried sap from the trees. I was told it taste like bitter chewing gum. Yum!
- The tree produces Shikimic Acid, which can help treat the flu.
- Provide cover and shade for birds and mammals.
- Some Hummingbirds get the nectar from the sweet gum flowers.